Monday, May 5, 2014

Passion for the passionate.


May is here! These past few months have been a whirlwind here in Austin...and I have loved every minute. My heart swells every time I get to walk (or bike) the streets of this city, as it is busting at the seems with creativity. These people are PASSIONATE! Whether believers in Christ or not, their Creator's mark of desiring a full and meaningful life is written all over them. They are not fooled by laziness or apathy.

But they are fooled by their own flesh. These people, like many of us at times, truly believe that they can find satisfaction in their own efforts and strength. Looking at their faces, I see the emptiness. My heart aches for them to know a full and meaningful life. Coming from all over this state, country, and world, these people are hungry. Hungry for something more than they currently possess.

The thing about hunger is that it gets worse as time goes on. Our very insides cry out from within us.

I feel tinges of it on the days I choose not to be filled by what is lasting. I'm the first to run to my checklists, accomplishments, and plans. And then anxiety, depressive thoughts, worthlessness creep in...a life so full, yet empty. I wish my hunger would cry out more. Or more quickly. That I would see and believe my desperate need for Him every hour of every day. Yet while I struggle with my own tendency to find fulfillment in the flesh, there's a difference. He has opened my heart to know the source to drink from. He whispers my name, and I come back and am filled. Imagine going not just hours, days, or months, but an entire lifetime without water.

I see the faces of those with empty stomachs and souls every day. I see their hunger growing, and my heart hurts. They are passionate, gifted, and hardworking, and so very empty. May they no longer look to appearance, creativity, passions, or performance to sustain.

 "So then, brothers, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God." - Romans 8:12-14

"Jesus said to her, “Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life." - John 4:13-14

As more posts come of all that God has walked me through this spring, keep this heartbeat in mind; that all that I experience and grow through has been and always will be for the purpose of knowing Him and making Him known. May those walking the same streets and sitting in the same seats as me, have the same tendencies, yet seeing through a completely different lens be pointed to the only One who fills.

Father, take the scales off of our eyes and draw us to the Source.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment